How to get applications installed to workstations (Windows)
Installation request for a centrally managed Aalto workstation
- Check if the application is available in the self-service portal. If so, request targeting from there.
- If the application is not available in the self-service portal but needs to be available for several users, and the application is free or includes a license for several users, fill out the software packaging request form. Also fill out the form, if you require a new version of an already available application.
- If you require a single installation of an application that is not available in the self-service portal and is not possible or sensible to be made available for several users, ask for manual installation from email@example.com. Please include your workstation Computer Name (seen by pressing Ctrl-F12) with such a request.
Some applications are targeted and installed to all centrally managed workstations without request. These applications are selected mostly to make certain functionality easily available to all users, even if not everyone needs them. We try to keep the amount and size of forced applications low. You can see a list of these applications here.
If a license needs to be acquired for a new application, see the instructions from here.
Installation request for computer classrooms
- Check if the application is already being deployed to required classrooms from here. This list is updated automatically every night.
- Check from your own workstation in the self-service portal if the application is available. If so, ask for deployment to required classrooms by sending a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org. State the classroom name/location and the required date as accurately as possible.
- If the application is not available in the self-service portal and the application is free or includes a license for several users, fill out the software packaging request form. Also fill out the form, if you require a new version of an already available application. You can also state the initially required classrooms when filling out the form.
The instructions here concern centrally managed Windows workstations where applications are mostly installed from automated software deployment. If you need media for workstations that are not centrally managed but owned by Aalto University, see the instructions for getting installation media for such workstations.
Applications for personally owned workstations at home can be found at download.aalto.fi