Aalto-Mac: changing the password
In Macs, some of the user's details are stored in the Keychain, which is usually protected with the user’s log-in password. When you use an Aalto Mac computer, you should change the Aalto password directly from the computer itself, with the instructions below.
- First connect your Mac computer to Aalto’s workstation network.
- Then, select from the Apple menu System Preferences and Users & Groups.
- Then select Change Password... When you change the password this way, the new password is also updated as the password for Keychain and you avoid any problems. If you update the password from an external source (such as password.aalto.fi), you must specifically update it to the Aalto-Mac’s Keychain.
If you have problems with the Keychain, you can reset the password for the keychain by yourself, by following the instructions below.
- Start the /Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app application.
- Then, from the top bar, select first Keychain Access and then Preferences...
- Click Reset My Default Keychain and select the new password for the keychain.
- Log out of your computer right away and then log in again, so the file locks of the old keychain are released and new keychain begins to operate.